Do you love working with kids and sharing your passion for growing your own food and eating health? Apply today!
The Garden Coordinator leads curriculum-focused outdoor classes and garden-based nutrition workshops. The Garden Coordinator works with teachers as they plan their lessons utilizing the outdoor classroom and models skills that teachers need to feel comfortable using the garden to teach science, history, social studies, cultural studies, math, literacy and other standards in practical real-life applications.
There are several positions available which may be either Grow Some Good staff or Department of Education positions or private school positions.
- 10-35 hours per week depending on position
- Variable based on school hours but typically 7 hours/day between 7:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. up to 5 days/week + prep time
- Location: various across island of Maui
- RATE: $17 – $22 per hour
- Work with teachers to develop lessons that support classroom teaching in a range of curriculum areas (science, social studies, mathematics, language arts, etc.). Lead garden classes, incorporating both environmental science and nutrition education as they relate to the garden.
- Oversee and coordinate students’ hands-on experiences in the garden (planting, tending, harvesting and cooking).
- Lead safe and efficient maintenance of the garden, coordinate volunteers, support school outreach functions and work with PTA and PCNC (Parent Child Networking Coordinator) and Grow Some Good to secure needed supplies.
- Collaborate with Grow Some Good on garden scheduling / maintenance, plan and prepare for garden work activities, co-manage planting schedule, ensure availability of tools and other necessary materials.
- Establish garden time schedule with curriculum coordinators and teachers.
- Participate in community garden events that bring students, families, teacher and community members together.
- Maintain necessary records of garden use and volunteer activity.
- At least 2 years of college, with work in agriculture, science, ecology, environmental science, education or related field. Relevant work experience may be substituted for college background.
- 1+ years of facilitation or teaching experience with youth aged 5 – 14.
- Knowledge and experience in growing a variety of edible plants in tropical climates. Knowledge of topics including urban gardening, botany, biodynamics, indigenous farming techniques; environmental science, health and nutrition, food systems, food access are a plus.
- Able to establish positive rapport with diverse groups of students and volunteers through written and verbal communications.
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse populations including youth and adults.
- Ability to organize work plans and work independently.
- In good physical condition with willingness to participate in occasional physical labor in garden setting. Much of day is spent on your feet in outdoor setting. Must be able to lift and carry 25 lbs.
- Should have access to transportation for occasional supplies procurement and delivery and be able to show proof of insurance for vehicle used.
- May be required to meet Department of Education minimum qualifications for employment and/or complete background check.
- Must be able to access a personal computer and have a cell phone.
About Grow Some Good
Grow Some Good cultivates a healthy community by strengthening local agriculture and improving access to nutritious, affordable food. Grow Some Good is a nonprofit community program that currently supports schools in grades K-12 across Maui.
As a non-profit, positions are dependent on organization getting grant funding and donations. Positions are typically for the school year and breaks are not paid for unless there are special projects.
To apply, send cover letter and resume to apply at growsomegood dot org with Garden Coordinator Position in the subject line.