Saturday, June 11
8 a.m. – 11 a.m.
Kihei Elementary School
250 E. Lipoa Street
Kihei, HI 96753
Join South Maui School Gardens Project volunteers this Saturday morning, June 11, as we summer-ize parts of the Kihei Elementary School garden and install new planting areas. The garden continues to thrive through the summer as we support YMCA Camp Nalu with fun in the garden activities for kids. We are also focusing on rebuilding the soil and planning new additions to the garden, so don’t miss your opportunity to help shape the future of our living classroom.
Learning activities planned:
– Soil amendments using worm tea, horse manure, fish emulsion, fresh compost.
– Cover crop using buckwheat to rebuild nitrogen in the Three Sisters Garden.
– Composting layered with seaweed, lemongrass, comfrey, gliricidia and other nutrient boosting amendments.
– ‘Strawberry Fields Forever’ Garden prep for planting organic strawberry patch with Camp Nalu campers.
– Mulching with schoolyard green waste for garden paths.
– Visioning brainstorm and planning on new garden layout, murals, community board and more.
Equipment / materials needed:
– Heavy duty tiller for turning large field plot.
– Heavy duty wood chipper for mulching large palm fronds and other green waste.
– Large pickup truck for hauling horse manure from Makena Stables.
– Composting amendments: seaweed, lemongrass, comfrey, gliricidia, etc.
Please email info@KiheiSchoolGardens.org if you can supply any of these resources in advance.
NOTE: There will be no work & learn day in July, so this is our big opportunity to get the garden in gear for the new school year!
Hope to see you there.